Monday, July 27, 2009

Actually, No. I Don’t Work Here. Or Anywhere.

I had just had a good session with a former classmate of mine. She works at The New York Times. We sat in the Times cafeteria and talked about my job search and her new beat and a few things in between. This is the kind of talk that helps, even if the results do not come quickly or even necessarily bring tangible results. I feel less alone. And better for having chatted with someone else who has not given up completely on journalism in America.
After our get-together and hearing her ideas and advice, I stood in front of the Times building, a cool and still-newish structure designed by Renzo Piano. People were passing by. One man stopped and approached me and said, “Do you work at The New York Times?”
I said no.
He walked away.
I guess mine was the wrong answer. Come to think of it, I was not happy to be reminded that I do not work at the Times. Or anywhere else. Then again, he looked like maybe he wanted to yell at someone who did work for the Times. So maybe mine was the right answer after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment