Monday, September 13, 2010

Even More Mad About 'Mad Men'

A couple of weeks ago, someone with taste posted on Facebook that she's disappointed with "Mad Men" this year. I know that this is around the time when most TV shows tend to get soft or silly or both. Jump the shark and all that. But I'm finding this year better than ever.
Everyone from my Facebook friend to Regis Philbin has complained publicly and with considerable enthusiasm about missing those scenes of domestic hostility between Don Draper and his former wife, played weirdly but wonderfully by January Jones. I had had enough and like seeing the exes with new and, in Don's case, various mates. Both characters remain decidedly themselves and it shows how they carry their sometimes menacing character traits with them, regardless of who they wind up with on a given day or night. Not a bad relationship lesson, I'd say.
The other wonder of the season is that Elizabeth Moss as Peggy has gone from being everything from a feminist role model to, in the episode eight days ago, something out of "Long Day's Journey Into Night." I love me some Don and Peggy scenes, and that particular episode sported some exceptional acting and surprisingly subtle script choices tossed in with the dramatic fireworks. A lovely and lyrical mix.
A.O. Scott told the truth in yesterday's Times: TV is often better than its film equivalent these days. Nowhere is that more true than with "Mad Men." I get why some are turned off with the depressing subject matter and the consistent tie-in with historical moments. But so long as there are compelling characters saying funny and scary and sometimes even true things to one another...I'm sticking with Draper and company. And I'm grateful to have them.

No comments:

Post a Comment