Monday, May 10, 2010

Americans Still Not Fond of Fonda; Up Next in the Culture Wars…Elena Kagan

Well, I like Jane Fonda. But apparently Middle America is still as ticked as ever about her anti-war stance during the Vietnam years.
I did a blog item for Rentedspaces.com about Fonda’s Atlanta loft (http://www.rentedspaces.com/2010/05/07/jane-fondas-atlanta-loft-for-sale-or-rent/). I thought it was a pretty straightforward piece and there was nothing controversial about it, but it’s already received more comments than any other blog I’ve done. I’m fascinated that Fonda remains this polarizing a figure.
But these are polarizing times.
Our next culture clash was introduced by the President his morning: a new nominee for the U.S. Supreme Court. I like Elena Kagan. So far as I’m concerned, President Obama can keep picking women from New York City for the Supreme Court until there are nine of them serving. But I’m expecting a pretty fierce debate will surround Kagan. The rightists are not going to be happy with Kagan’s commitment to equal treatment under the law for gay people. Heck, some won’t even like her being single. But I think she’s a qualified choice from a president smart enough to know he will have, come next year, even fewer votes in Congress for his picks. He might as well go for what he wants while he still has a chance.
Jane Fonda and Elena Kagan: women worth fighting about.

No comments:

Post a Comment