Monday, April 19, 2010

Tweet Time

Okay, I gave up last week and started Tweeting.
I felt like I had very little choice. And as if time had run out on my non-Tweeting days.
After all, the idea had been in my head for many months. Almost a year ago, at a reunion weekend event at the J-school at Columbia University, I went to a great seminar on using social media. A former prof of mine (and so many others), Sree Sreenivasan, argued that Twitter was a powerful tool for journalists. I understood his theory, but was worried about another time-eating technology that would eventually aggravate me. I mean, Facebook has pretty much taught me to hate the friends of my friends and, on a bad day, my actual friends.
In terms of Tweeting, I just made it under the New York magazine wire. I started last week and today the magazine is out with a cover story about Tweeting in the big city. Is this one of those things where the trend is over by the time the mainstream media takes note of it?
I don't know, but so far I am in awe of my fellow Tweeters. I shoulda picked dumber people to "follow" on Twitter, since the hyper-articulate and funny folks I selected intimidate the heck out of me. These writers tend to pack an awful lot of meaning into a few words. I'm a little jealous. Yes, I mean you, Kim Severson and Susan Orlean and Ruth Reichl and there are even some men worth following.
I'm hoping, through Internet osmosis, to learn their ways. For my Tweets and all my writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment