Monday, February 8, 2010

That Really Was Super

Nothing bored me like football. And I felt some sense of satisfaction this season, when the Wall Street Journal went and analyzed the number of action that actually occurs in a game. I cannot remember the number, but it was less than 20 minutes of playing football on the field. It’s mostly time-outs and the clock running out and blah blah blah.
That said, last night was really something special. My partner and I had the TV on, but I didn’t really move into game mode until the late third quarter. I missed that big post-intermission play (oh, I mean halftime) that got things going, but I saw enough to be very excited. Not because of football, but because of New Orleans. A city that is singular, a place like no other, and one that has been too largely forgotten.
Even today, on the morning after, it is a bit disturbing to hear people who have not visited or even read the city talk about how it is completely back from its Katrina days. That’s not true. New Orleans is a city that still very much suffers and deserves the attention of Americans of all stripes. Our president, like our last president, has paid too little attention. As have the rest of us. But the big game and the even bigger victory by the Saints is a reminder of the spirit of a great people. They know how to have a good time. And after all they have suffered, they certainly deserve one.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. An excellent football game and just as, if not more importantly, an excellent result for a city that deserves better.

    ReplyDelete