Monday, September 21, 2009

An Inspiring Thought

This morning I called my 96-year-old former piano teacher to wish her a happy birthday. She was busy working on lessons plans for a class she is going to teach later this week.
You gotta love that.
This is the musical arts equivalent of dying on the job—working until the end. Except that she has not died and she is not necessarily near the end.
In fact, during our chat, she was giving me lessons in positive thinking. I was saying how it would be hard to transition from editing to teaching, especially since so many people from so many fields are turning to education as Step Two on the career path. But my friend told me not to go into something like this thinking, well, something like that…about how hard it would be.
Being 96 and gainfully employed, she may not be right about the odds I’m facing, either in journalism or education. But she is a teacher who still has some life lessons left to give. And I’m listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment